- Jailbreaking Basics: What is DFU mode and how to put any Apple device in DFU mode?
- Jailbreaking Basics: What are SHSH blobs and why/how to save them
From today, we are going to start some basic to-the-point tutorials that is required before you dive into iPhone jailbreaking scene. We will start with DFU mode-What is DFU mode, How to differentiate between DFU and Recovery Mode, and how to enter DFU mode.
What is DFU mode?
DFU mode is a special mode where Apple devices can communicate with iTunes without loading any Operating system or bootloader. DFU stands for Device Firmware Update.
Why DFU mode?
DFU mode is used for upgrading/downgrading iOS versions. Very important for jailbreaking your Apple device if jailbreaking for first time (pwned DFU mode)
How to Enter DFU mode?
- Connect the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to your computer and launch iTunes
- Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone)
- Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button
- Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected
How to exit DFU Mode?
While the device is connected to iTunes, hold power plus home button. the device will boot out of DFU mode.