Sn0wbreeze has been updated by iH8sn0w team to jailbreak iOS 5.1 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad and iPod Touch. The new jailbreak is tethered, which means the user will have to connect to computer in order to reboot the device. iOS 5.1 closed the exploit used by Absinthe and Corona, which means it is not possible to jailbreak iPad 2 and iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1. There is no bootrom level exploit either, which means A5 devices are out of luck. A4 and older devices still uses Geohot’s limera1n exploit.
What is New?
- Added Tethered Jailbreak support for 3GS/iPod Touch 3/A4 Users on iOS 5.1 (9B176)
- iPhone 3GS old-bootrom users are untethered on 5.1/9B176 (as usual).
- Bug Fixes (Specifically with the iPad baseband and iPhone 2G).
- Re-added the iPhone Dev-Team’s iPhone 2G permanent unlock ‘BootNeuter’.
Why is there no A5 support? :~(
A low level (DFU/iBoot/LLB) exploit is required to start the restoration of custom IPSWs. The past two jailbreaks (JailbreakMe & absinthe) for the A5 worked within iOS itself. These exploits are not capable of bringing the iDevice into a state where it will accept custom IPSWs. Therefore, an A5 device cannot currently downgrade to an iOS revision that Apple is no longer signing (even with SHSH blobs) and it cannot preserve the baseband when updating to a newer iOS revision.
Here is the step by step guide:
- Download iOS 5.1. Direct download links available here: Download iOS 5.1 for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, 3GS, iPad and iPod Touch [Direct Download Links]
- Download Sn0wBreeze 2.9.2 from here: sn0wbreeze v2.9.2
- Open Sn0wBreeze and point it to iOS 5.1 firmware file downloaded in step 1
- Choose Expert Mode and choose your options. If you are unsure, you can click “Build IPSW”
- After IPSW build is complete, Follow onscreen instructions to put you device in DFU mode
- Open iTunes. It’ll detect the device in DFU mode. Now click alt key and press restore button.
- Browse to custom IPSW built via Sn0wBreeze (and not the custom IPSW downloaded in step 1)
- Relax and let iTunes do its work. It’ll take some time.