PwnageTool is a tool that can be used to upgrade and jailbreak iPhone OS to 4.0 without upgrading the baseband. This is necessary for carrier unlock using blacksn0w. This works only for Mac. Here is what you’ll need:
- iPhone OS 4.0 (iOS 4.0 GM) bundle
- PwnageTool 3.1.5 for Mac
- iTunes 9.2
- iOS 4.0 GM
- Redsn0w 0.9.5 beta 5 for updated cydia
Warning: This is intended only for advanced users. I’m not responsible if it bricks your iPhone or starts a nuclear halocast.
Supported Devices: iPhone 3GS with old bootrom and jailbroken atleast once via redsn0w, sn0wbreeze, blackra1n or PwnageTool. This is not for people jailbroken via Spirit.
Here is the step by step guide:
- Place PwnageTool.app on your desktop
- Right click PwnageTool.app and click “Show Package Content”
- Browse to Contents>Resources>Firmware Bundles
- Copy the custom bundle iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_bundle.bundle from iPhone2,1_4.0_8A2943_bundle.zip to FirmwareBundles of Pwnagetool.app
- Right click on redsn0w.app and ‘Show Package Contents’ and browse to Contents>MacOS> . Copy Cydia.tar.gz on your desktop and extract its content.
- Now you will need to copy Cydia into PwnageTool.app. To do that, right click on Pwnagetool.app and “Show Package Contents”. Browse to : Contents>Resources>CustomPackages> right click on “CydiaInstaller.bundle” and “Show Package Contents” > Files> and overwrite all the files with the ones you just extracted from redsn0w.
- That’s it. Now load PwnageTool.app and create iOS 4.0 custom firmware for iPhone 3GS
- Once you got the custom .ipsw, you need to restore iOS 4.0 via iTunes. Once you restore, you’ll have fully jailbroken iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.0