Download redsn0w(redsnow) 0.9.6b4 to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1
Redsn0w(redsnow) has been updated to version 0.9.6b4 and it can now jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 for all iDevices (but tethered for new ones). For those who don’t know, redsn0w is a windows tool jo jailbreak iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
- Works for all iDevices. But for newer devices (iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS with new bootrom, iPad, iPod Touch 3G and iPod Touch 2G with new bootrom) it is still tethered, which means that you’ll need to connect your newer iDevice to PC if you reboot them.
- Unlockers please stay away from this release. It upgrades your baseband and you’ll loose unlock, possibly forever.
- Windows 7 users should use Windows XP compatibility mode.
- iTunes 10.1 is recommended.
Here is the step by step guide to jaibreak iOS 4.2.1 using redsn0w 0.9.6b4
- Download iOS 4.2.1. Download links given below.
- Download redsn0w 0.9.6b4. Download links given below.
- Open up iTunes. It’ll detect your iPhone.
- Press Shift and click restore. Browse for the ipsw file you downloaded in step 1. iTunes will restore the iDevice to 4.2.1. Let it do its work. It may take some time.
- Open redsnow (redsn0w). Browse for the ipsw file you downloaded in step1. It’ll verify the file. Click next.
- Check “Install Cydia”. Check other options only if you know what you are doing.
- Switch off your iPhone and click next. It is very important to switch off your iPhone.
- Redsnow (redsn0w) will now guide you to put your iPhone in DFU mode. Do exactly as shown
- Once done, it’ll start the jailbraking process. Relax and let it do its work. Do not interrupt or attempt to turn off the device. The jailbreak will complete in few minutes.
- You’ll be able to open your iDevice but won’t be able to open Cydia. To open Cydia, connect iDevice to computer and open redsb0w again. Do everything again but this time, choose “Just boot tethered right now”. The device will now boot in jailbroken state and you’ll be able to run cydia.
Only for new iDevices (iPhone 4, 3GS (New Bootrom), iPod touch 4G / 3G / 2G, iPad)
Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 for Mac
Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 for Windows
iOS 4.2.1 for iPad:
iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone:
iOS 4.2.1 for iPod touch: